Since everyone has deformities—not just the official sexual predators, you want to break this vicious cycle with some preventative steps—some training that builds on that instinctual base wiring.
1. First, be a little more open about the whole topic. One of the things that Christians have tried to do that is not working is to act like “if I am actually holy I will never have a predatory thought or reaction” which is impossible. It just is not going to happen. You are wired for that.
2. Teach the young ladies how to go about being powerful young ladies that have a good effect on others so their desire to be a source of pleasure and a source of delight is going to be met appropriately.
If you don’t answer that question of how to become a powerful person in a way that really works, they are going to find other ways. Today’s culture is full of ways to make yourself feel powerful and delightful, including riding wrecking balls!
3. Provide alternatives. We need to have adults who delight in protecting others and teaching others the delight of protecting young women or young men, otherwise, Christians are not going to have anything that catches on.
The kind of training needed that will help you to see weaknesses, acknowledge weaknesses, be transparent about your own weaknesses and say,
Yeah, well anybody could have a predator thought here. But, how many know what to do to protect that weakness? What do you do to protect someone when you see their vulnerability, sexual or otherwise?
One answer in the Life Model is to develop the reflex of going to Jesus and asking to see the person the way Jesus seem them. Develop the reflex to say, “Here is a weakness, I feel like exploiting it. Lord, how do I see this person as one of Your daughters, one of my sisters, one of Your people that You want to have protected…how would I even do that?”
An interesting thing about the shalom that comes when you share minds with Jesus is when you see what Jesus is doing, it doesn’t give you some strange instruction to follow. You actually feel, “Wow, that would be good!” To see someone the way Jesus sees them changes your responses and it is something you ought then to share with others.
This is the kind of training you will receive at the Thrive Training events and in the Connexus Training (formerly called Thriving, Recover Your Life.– the training format for churches.)
- Learn a better response – Purchase The Life Model, Share Immanuel and Joy Starts Here
- Begin building a desire within leadership of your church to have a church sponsored Connexus group
- Plan to attend a Thrive Event. Calendar of events. Click on Speaking Schedule
May your joy be full!
Chris & Carol
Chris Coursey, MA Theology — Author, Speaker and Thrive Trainer, www.thrivetoday.org
Twitter – @coursey_chris
Carol Brown, Author of The Mystery of Spiritual Sensitivity and Highly Sensitive www.fromgodsheart.com
Resources Mentioned in This Post:
All resources can be purchased from the Life Model Works website. Click the books and Literature Tab.
Joy Starts Here
This post was developed from a talk by Dr. Jim Wilder for Pastor’s Weekly Oct. 31- 2013